What are you doing on Wednesday night? Spacing? Watching the box? No, you’re not, you’ll be out on the streets of Dublin hearing the great and the good reading! Well, maybe some of you might.
It’s a nice idea, and deserves to have a few people wandering around. Full details are on the Unesco site here.
“Join us for the first evening of its kind in Ireland as readings from European Contemporary Fiction are held in 12 venues around the Temple Bar/Christ Church area of the city. Readings of 15 minute duration by well known Irish personalities will be held every half hour from 6:30pm to 9:00pm.”
- Chapter House, Christ Church – Sharon Ní Bheoláin – Malta
- The Contemporary Music Centre – Joe Dunthorne – Wales
- Council Chamber, City Hall – Mary Kennedy – Poland
- Exhibition Space, City Hall – Tom Hickey – Spain
- Gallery Number One – Marcella Plunkett – Austria
- Gutter Book Shop – Donal McIntyre – France
- Lord Edward Pub – Breandán de Gallaí – Belgium
- Powder Tower, Dublin Castle – Owen Roe – Germany
- Smock Alley Theatre – Brian Kennedy – Italy
- St Audoen’s Church – Joe Duffy – Netherlands
- Tailor’s Hall – Bernard MacLaverty – Northern Ireland
- Werburgh Street Church – Lord Mayor of Dublin Andrew Montague – Romania
The names that jump out at me Joe Duffy (Legend), Owen Roe and Tom Hickey, but I’m sure it’ll all be good.