Ok, this kicks into the August Bank Holiday weekend, so lots and lots of events on around the city.
1. Teenage Kicks – A season of ‘American Teens on film’ at the IFI, and yes, it does include John Hughes in the form of Pretty in Pink and the Breakfast club. It kicks off at the weekend with ‘Rebel without a cause’ and ‘Dazed and Confused’ on Saturday and Sunday respectively.
2. Americana & Roots Weekend – Greystones – 3rd – 6th August – A nice festival in a nice part of the county! Ok, it’s not actually the county, but I’m pretty lax about that boundary at the best of times, and this is worth a mention. Go see.
3. Gaze Film Festival – Lighthouse Cinema – Gay, Lesbian and trans-gender movie festival this year takes place in the nicest cinema in the city. There are a number of free events also, so pick up tickets while you can for films such as ‘Weekend’ which is very sweet. The Lighthouse also has a bar area for the last few weeks, which is worth supporting, as it’s nice to have a pint after a movie or two.
4. Sam Keogh in Conversation – Project Arts Centre – 30th July – 5.30 PM – Part of the ‘Conjuring for beginners’ exhibition, Sam Keogh will be discussing his work with Declan Long today.
5. Beardyman – Button Factory – 4th August – Probably the gig of the week, but there’s also Chic featuring Nile Rodgers on Thursday 2nd August, Feeder play the Academy and James Blake DJ set on the 3rd. Not a bad lot!