The Mercury Prize nominations are out, and do we care? Kinda. These prizes are never more than a mild interst, and when you see the previous winners include such high lights as M people and Speech Debelle (?), it certainly doesn’t guarantee stardom, possibly far from it.
It’s hard to see past the first name on the list, but it would be nice if Elbow got the nod, even if a little unlikely.
- Adele – 21
- Anna Calvi – Anna Calvi
- Elbow – Build A Rocket Boys!
- Everything Everything – Man Alive
- Gwilym Simcock – Good Days At Schloss Elmau
- Ghostpoet – Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam
- James Blake – James Blake
- Katy B – On A Mission
- King Creosote / Jon Hopkins – Diamond Mine
- Metronomy – The English Riviera
- PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
- Tinie Tempah – Disc-Overy
Everthing Everything seem pretty damn good. One to look out for.
Metronomy are getting a lot of attention, but are not really my kid of thing, if i’m being honest. Still, it’s good pop music I will admit.
some smoooth jaaazzz from Gwilym Simcock
Nice to see the King Creosote/John Hopkins album get a nod – it’s been one of my favourite things this year so far.
Yeah, you’re dead right. I was just listening to it the other night. Really gentle and haunting.
Must check out Jon Hopkins actually. I know pretty much nothing about him!